Friday, August 13, 2010

Apple + Berry Pie

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lately I've been on a baking kick. Last night I managed to snap a photo of the apple and berry pie I made, before my boyfriend demolished it. I served it with some passionfruit greek yoghurt instead of icecream, so much yummier and much lighter!

Here's a recipe for those of you looking to get your rolling pins out this weekend

Ingredients (serves 6)


  • 1kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered, cut into 1.5cm-thick slices
  • 200g frozen berries
  • 75g (1/3 cup) raw sugar
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • Dash of vanilla beans
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbs plain flour
  • 1 egg white, lightly whisked
  • 1 tbs raw sugar, extra
  • Double cream, to serve
  • Pastry

  • 525g (31/2 cups) plain flour
  • 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
  • 250g chilled butter, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs

Method

  1. To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar, butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the eggs and process until the dough just starts to come together. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.

  2. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 28cm-diameter disc. Line a 20cm (base measurement) pie dish with the pastry. Trim excess and reserve. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

  3. Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the apple, berries, sugar, spices and flour in a bowl. Brush the base and side of the pastry case with half the egg white. Spoon the apple mixture into the pastry case.

  4. Roll out the remaining pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 24cm-diameter disc. Place over the pie dish. Press the edges to seal. Trim excess pastry. Roll out with the reserved pastry. Use a leaf-shaped pastry cutter or a small sharp knife to cut leaves from pastry. Place on pie to decorate. Brush pie with remaining egg white. Top with extra sugar. Cut 3 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

  5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden and the apple is tender when a skewer is inserted into the slits. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Cut into wedges. Serve with cream.

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I want some right now! I tried to make cupcakes the other day but they ended up rising and expanding so much that they all overflowed and melted into each other so I ended up with a monster, holed cake thing :( x Sushi

    P.S. As you may already know, I've entered the Miss Shop Style Off competition, and it would be an absolute dream to win! I'm asking my lovely blog friends/followers to show their support by voting for me :)

    If you could spare a minute, please register here, then click the 'vote for me now' button on my profile page. To validate your vote you also need to click the link in the confirmation email Miss Shop will send you. Thanks so much hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely wanting to get my bake on with this pie! I have never made pastry before...shock!.....I am super keen to try and make a sweet pie. Ever since I saw the movie Waitress, I have been wanting to get out my rolling pin. Actually I just realised I don't have a rolling pin...fail! Note to self, buy one. This looks delicious xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuuum!! this looks so good. I'm hungry now hehe

    Don't forget to enter my T2 giveaway @ http://thriveonnovelty.blogspot.com/2010/09/t2-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanna to try it for sure this weekend it looks so sweet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving Lola a message ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails