Saturday, March 24, 2012

I went to SXSW

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The Thursday before last I left for SXSW in Austin, Texas. If you haven't heard of it, it's a huge music, interactive, film and fashion festival that occurs each year. For some reason the organiser asked me to speak on a panel about the future of fashion and technology, I thought why on earth not?

So I packed my bags and left a few days later. To cut a very long story short, I had a great time and met some awesome people. It was my first time travelling by myself overseas and I was a little bit taken aback by my spontaneity. I'm glad I went, although I will never ever ever fly United ever again. My bags were lost on 5 out of 6 of my flights with them and they smashed open my lock.

Then when I tried to get home, I missed my flight from SF to Sydney due to the tornadoes in Austin. It was so surreal flying around the storms, in a small jet nonetheless! It was actually really fun and I met a couple of really lovely musicians who were also stranded. Silly me hadn't heard of their band before and when I arrived home I realised that they're actually really well-known. I'm such a dweeb sometimes.

I had to fly via Auckland and was then told that they hadn't booked my flight back to Australia, oh and they lost my bags again. I swear my cheeky bag must have grew legs and ran around the plane.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Now for the food....this is what I ate on Sunday at the W Hotel. It was so yummy and definitely goes by the philosophy of everything being bigger in Texas!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yummy mexican vanilla cupcake from Delish! I also purchased an oreo cupcake, which I devoured before I could take a photo of.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The crepe cafe! This was a charming little cafe run by a French couple. The queue was so long, but well worth it. I had the Chloe crepes, with sugar, nutella and strawberries. This was my breakfast pre-panel. To say I was nervous was an understatement, although I was so incredibly jet-lagged.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Poor bike-cab guy had to take me from 3rd to 11th street, up hill. I gave him a huge tip, because I felt so bad. It was slightly terrifying riding on that through Texan traffic though.

note: if you've read my last post, you'd know that my engagement ring was damaged. We've since found out that the damage is irreparable. So now we're going to lodge a claim and hopefully be compensated. Funnily enough I found another ring that I love just as much in Austin...

3 comments:

  1. Hi gorgeous!
    so glad I found your cute, amazing, well structured and interesting blog while peeking at others' blogs! I really identify myself with it - I love beautiful things! I'd like to invite you to meet mine as well and hope you'll follow it if it pleases you. I'm definitely following yours!
    wish you lots of success
    kisses
    http://cottoncandy-peaches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of yummy food, and what a fun opportunity to speak at the event! Sorry the travel was so bad though - the storms would have been really scary, and missing bags is no fun at all :(

    AwayFromTheBlue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. um awesome!! what an amazing time! SXSW - wow! SO happy you found a new ring too. You look v pretty & profesh in the first photo ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving Lola a message ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails